Northern Hardwoods in Atlantic Mine, Michigan is hiring General Laborers. We offer a Sign on Bonus, Monthly Production Bonus, Competitive Wage, Health, Dental, Vision, Life, Short Term Disability, 401K, Vacation and Holidays.
**Now offering $1000 Sign-on Bonus**
About the Role
The General Laborer is responsible for providing efficient, effective assistance in the stacking of lumber packs and dropping bins.
Essential Function / Duties*
- Sticker lumber during the stacking process.
- Remove broken stickers.
- Cut ends off boards.
- Staple tags to packs and spray tag information on packs
- Put bolsters on packs.
- Remove lumber from chain and place on carts.
- Check lumber thickness, length, and grade, piling accordingly.
- Sort out defects, improperly manufactured lumber, and notify grader.
- Remove tags from packs and record tag information.
- Clean work area, keeping it free of hazards.
- Assist in banding of packs; bolster placement and change over.
- May monitor sticker bin.
- May use chop saw and rip saw for re-manufacturing.
- Work as a team to ensure all tasks, duties and projects are completed.
- Cut lumber pack ends.
- Remove straps and crossers from packs, put crossers on packs.
- Bands truck pack.
- Operate forklift to load and unload wood bins and haul banding.
- Remove snow in the winter.
- Cut bolsters and crossers to length.
- Repair bolsters and sticker racks
- Follow standard operating procedures.
- Drop Lumber bins in stacker.
- May use computer skills to report production, maintenance, or help needed.
- All other duties assigned by supervisor.
*This is not an exhaustive list of duties or functions and may not necessarily comprise all of the essential functions
Education: High School or equivalent
About Northern Hardwoods
Northern Hardwoods is an integrated hardwoods products company that manages the entire forest-to-products process, from harvesting timber to the production of hardwood lumber, pulpwood, and veneer logs in a State-Of-The-Art Hardwood Sawmill. Northern Hardwoods prides itself on its one-of-a-kind white hard maple. The company has capabilities to Surface 2 Sides (S2S) all its products, along with Straight Line Rip One Edge and Rip to Width. Northern Hardwoods specializes in slow drying pre-dry and kiln operation, sustainable forest management, and ripped to width lumber strips. Please visit our website www.northernhardwoods.com to learn more about the company.
Northern Hardwoods is a portfolio organization of the J.M. Longyear family of companies. Headquartered in Marquette, Michigan, J.M. Longyear is a privately held asset-based manager with 150 years of experience growing long-term value. Longyear’s interests span a vast spectrum of markets that include forestry and land management, mining & metals, hardwood products, manufacturing, real estate, and medical device products. Please visit www.jmlongyear.com for more information.